Chicken Pot Pie with Bone Broth
Our tallow and broth work so well in this recipe, you will be craving this dish every week. This dish is fun to make on your own, or with friends and family. Below we have a breakdown for how to make the crust and filling for your enjoyment.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2.5 cups flour (white or wheat)
6 teaspoons chilled Brothee Organic Tallow
6 teaspoons chilled butter
1 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
6-8 teaspoons ice cold water
Egg Wash Ingredients:
3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Measure out each ingredient and place in freezer for at least 30 min before preparation.
- While waiting for ingredients to chill, begin preparing filling. (Part B) In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, butter and tallow with a fork until well integrated, creating sand like texture.
- Slowly add one tablespoon of ice cold water at a time until the pie dough starts to stick together. Only add enough water to combine contents of bowl into one malleable ball.
- Cut pie dough in half, place one half in fridge.
- Place 1 piece of dough on a flat surface with a light dusting of flour so the dough doesn't stick.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten pie crust until ¼ in thick. Carefully place in pie dish and trim accordingly.
- Once filling is finished, roll out second dough and place over the top of the pie.
- Cut a hole in the middle for ventilation and crimp the edges. Brush on a light egg-wash (egg mixed with milk) to give the crust a nice aesthetic.
½ lb chicken breast (preferably pasture-raised, we love Mary’s which we use for our broths)
1 lb chicken thigh
1 large white onion
3 large carrots
1 bunch celery
4 teaspoons butter
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups Brothee Chicken Broth
¼ cup white wine
- Sear chicken in in large stock pot, put to the side.
- Dice vegetables and put in stock pot with butter, season with salt, pepper, and paprika saute for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine to deglaze.
- Add flour, stir to coat.
- Dice seared chicken into dime size pieces, add to pot with thyme (removed from stem) sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and milk, bring to light simmer.
- Simmer pot pie filling until thick, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Once slightly cooled, pour filling into crust. Follow above instructions for the top crust.
- Bake pot pie for 10 min at 450, then turn down to 350 and bake for 30 minutes.